Address:

William Patten Primary School
Stoke Newington Church Street
London N16 0NX
Office Manager: Rita Quigley
SENDCo: Caitlin Shaw

View on map

Contact:

020 7254 4014

Email school

Follow us:

William Patten Primary School

Close

Dear parents,

The phonics screening check (PSC) is a statutory reading check which all Year 1 children will take during the week commencing 6th June 2022. The check is designed to assess if each child has reached the age appropriate standard​ of decoding by the end of Year 1.

During the assessment children will read 40 words – 20 real words and 20 alien words. They will be encouraged to ‘say the special friends, Fred talk and then read the word.’ I regularly listen to children read and I use previous phonic screening checks to assess children, so the format of the assessment in June will be very familiar to children.

Please see the attached pdf which provides further information about the phonics screening check. In addition to this, I have scheduled a phonics screening check meeting, on Monday 23rd May 2022 at 10:00am, where I can answer any questions you may have. Please join using this link:  https://meet.google.com/acx-jdku-av

During the May half-term holiday, it would be wonderful if you could continue to support your child to review all of the speed sounds they have learnt, read both real and alien words and also their RWI book. I will also add a few extra activities to the 1C and 1S Google Classrooms to try over the holidays.